Click to download a pdf version of my current CV
Andrew T. Coates – C.V. Highlights
Duke University. PhD (2016)
- Major: American Religion
Minors: Theorizing Religion, Cultural Anthropology
- American Council of Learned Societies Mellon Dissertation Fellow (2015-2016)
University of Manitoba, Canada. BA, First Class Honors (2010)
- Majors: Honors English and Religion.
- What is Protestant Art? Leiden: Brill, 2018.
- “The Bible and Comic Books and Graphic Novels.” The Oxford Handbook of the Bible in America. Ed. Paul Gutjahr. New York: Oxford University Press, 2017
- “Protestant Art and Iconography.” The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and the Arts. Ed. Timothy Beal. New York: Oxford University Press, 2015. View Article.
- “Clarence Larkin: Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth.” Material and Visual Cultures of Religion, Online. 22 November 2013. Yale University. Editor: Sally Promey. View Article.
- “The Sunday Before the Election: NewHope Church.” Religion and Politics, online. John C. Danforth Center, Washington University St. Louis. Editor: Tiffany Stanley. 5 November 2012. View Article.
- “History and Materiality of Dispensational Charts.” Co-authored poster presentation. Delivered at the American Historical Association annual meeting, New York, NY. 4 January 2015.
- “Seeing the Literal: Aniconism, Images, and Common Sense in Clarence Larkin’s “Dispensational Truth.” AAR Annual National Conference. Baltimore, MD. 26 November 2013
Recent Courses Taught
- Religion in American Life. Duke University
- Religion and Film. Duke University
- Fundamentalism in America (independent graduate study). Duke University
- Introduction to Religion. UNC Wilmington
- Great Books of the World’s Religions. UNC Wilmington
- Religion in America. UNC Wilmington
- Religious Reform in Modern America. UNC Wilmington
- Protestants and Pictures (graduate seminar). Duke University