Click to download a pdf version of my current CV
Andrew T. Coates – C.V. Highlights
Duke University. PhD
- Defended: November 14, 2016
- Major: American Religion
Minors: Theorizing Religion, Cultural Anthropology
- American Council of Learned Societies Mellon Dissertation Fellow (2015-2016)
University of Manitoba, Canada. BA (Hons)
- Majors: Honors English and Religion.
- GPA: 4.43 of 4.5. First Class Honors (US equivalent: summa cum laude)
- “The Bible and Comic Books and Graphic Novels.” The Oxford Handbook of the Bible in America. Ed. Paul Gutjahr. Forthcoming 2017.
- “Protestant Art and Iconography.” The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and the Arts. Ed. Timothy Beal. New York: Oxford University Press, 2015. View Article.
- “Clarence Larkin: Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth.” Material and Visual Cultures of Religion, Online. 22 November 2013. Yale University. Editor: Sally Promey. View Article.
- “The Sunday Before the Election: NewHope Church.” Religion and Politics, online. John C. Danforth Center, Washington University St. Louis. Editor: Tiffany Stanley. 5 November 2012. View Article.
- “History and Materiality of Dispensational Charts.” Co-authored poster presentation. Delivered at the American Historical Association annual meeting, New York, NY. 4 January 2015.
- “Seeing the Literal: Aniconism, Images, and Common Sense in Clarence Larkin’s “Dispensational Truth.” AAR Annual National Conference. Baltimore, MD. 26 November 2013
- Introduction to Religion. UNC Wilmington. Fall 2016. Instructor (online).
- Religious Reform in Modern America. UNC Wilmington. Fall 2016. Instructor (online).
- Religion in American Life. Duke University. Spring 2014. Instructor.
- American Christianity. Duke Divinity School. Fall 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016. Preceptor for Kate Bowler, Grant Wacker, and Lauren Winner.
- Introduction to Religious Studies. Duke University. Spring 2012. Teaching Assistant for David Morgan.
- Editorial assistant at Material Religion: The Journal of Art, Objects, and Belief. Sept 2012-Dec 2013.
- Research assistant for Grant Wacker, 2010-2011.